|'Book of Threads' by ©Kerryn Madsen-Pietsch|
* 'Book of Threads' ~ Installation view, Main Space, Umbrella Studio Gallery, Townsville, Far North Queensland, AU.
* Artwork Medium ~ Mixed-media: Paper, acrylic, ink, pigment, collage, linen & raffia threads.
* Support ~ Handmade Indian rag (cotton) paper / artist book format.
* Height ~ 250 mm x width 340 mm open (165 mm closed) x depth 45 mm
* From this first Artist Book (a process/exploration Journal) developed many ideas for further art works, and these eventuated into the culmination of my 2007 solo and then touring exhibitions.
Solo - 'Elevating the Spirit', Cairns Regional Art Gallery, FNQ
Toured ~ Sugarama Gallery, Mourilyan, FNQ
Toured ~ Umbrella Studio Gallery, Townsville, FNQ
Other ~ Group Exhibitions
'Sense of Attachment'
'Art Teacher's Exhibition'
Artist Statement for Book of Threads
* The 'Growth' of the stitch and colour palette in my art practice stems from the detaching and extrapolating the stitch from its function (employed in my banana fibre basketry products) into an exploration of the metaphysical realm of ‘threads’.
* Practically, stitches bind, attach and connect materials and/or surfaces together; for me it is a metaphor for human bonding. Using a needle and thread by hand to stitch involves a slow meditative passing of time and is a methodical and sometimes painful process, of pushing and pulling through materials. This process in the end reveals the two-sided nature and the in-between of the affair.
* In Threads the stitch, archetype symbols (such as the ‘X’) and symbolic colour (eg. blue and gold) become the common threads for linking and connecting to the human psyche. Via the thread and colour, my work discusses
a) the spirit and alchemy of ‘relationships’,
b) dualities of life - the connection of the conscious to subconscious realms, spirit to matter, transience to permanence, complexity to simplicity, ambiguity to certainty, and
c) interwoven energies.
Copyright ©Kerryn Madsen-Pietsch